The Marcellus Shale Advisory Commission established by Governor Corbett and Chaired by Lt. Governor Cawley released its final report. The unanimously-adopted report contains 96 policy recommendations to Governor Corbett and the Legislature, including:
Enactment or authorization to impose a fee to mitigate to uncompensated impacts caused to communities by natural gas development
- Increasing the distance between gas well sites and streams, private wells and public water systems
- Increasing bonding amounts from $2,500 to at least $10,000 for deeper wells
- Expand public disclosure and information through enhanced well production and completion reporting
- Review and regularly updated best management practices
- Document and monitor effects of industry on forests, wildlife, habitat, etc.
- Enhance DEP’s ability to suspend, revoke or deny drilling permits for failure to comply
- Tougher civil and criminal penalties for violators.
- Assisting PA companies to do business with natural gas industry
- Training Pennsylvanians to work in the industry
- Developing “Green Corridors” for vehicles powered by natural gas